Boredom struck me big time today, all because I have been sitting trying to write a 10,000 word dissertation due in two weeks! To take a break I decided it was time to do some baking. Oreo's are a new thing for me as I only just found out that they don't contain any lactose :) ( but wine does hm?!).
I used a chocolate sponge recipe consisting of 3 eggs. Heres how I made them (approximately anyways)
Start by pre heating the oven at 180 degrees and lining a tray with 12 muffin cases!
- Measure your 3 eggs. This will be used to measure the rest of the ingredients ( mine weighed 180g)
- Weigh out your margarine and also the sugar so that both match the weight of the eggs (180g)
- Mix together in a bowl till its white and fluffy and add 2 tea spoons of vanilla essence
- Weigh out some self raising flour to around 20 g below the eggs and use cocoa powder to make up the rest.
- Shift into the bowl and slowly mixing with a wooden spoon ( you want to keep the mixture light and not beat the flour too much) ! Here I added a dash of soya milk and half a tea spoon of baking powder
- Now break 3 or 4 oreos into quarters and place in the cupcake liners
- Fill your cupcakes cases!
Place in the oven for approx 25 mins and voila!
Now onto the buttercream icing!
- Use about 3/4 of a block of stork margarine/butter and whisk till smooth
- Ground in a blender several Oreos until fine and add into the butter
- Now for icing sugar. I appologise, I have no specific measure for this but maybe use just less than half a bag of big icing sugar
- Add with the butter with a dash of vanilla essence
- Make sure its thoroughly mixed together and has a smooth consistency
Use a wilton 1m icing tip if you have one and pipe. Half an Oreo for each of the cupcakes a place on top of the icing.. like so...