Tuesday 23 July 2013

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes



Before I start I would like to just mention that even though I thought my lemon cheesecake cupcakes were a disaster, they actually taste surprisingly nice and I have been having one for breakfast every day since!

So, I was planning on creating Mint Chocolate Chip cakes today, however the peppermint essence I had in the cupboard expired in 2001 and Tesco did not sell it so instead I have baked Lemon Meringue with homemade Lemon Curd filling! Enjoy! 

Stage 1: Bake the Cupcakes

Recipe: 

As per usual, measure your 2 or 3 eggs. Beat the margarine and caster sugar (same weight as the eggs) together until smooth and add each egg one by one. Add a drop of vanilla essence and 2 tsp of lemon rind (around 1 lemon). 
Sieve in the self raising flour (also the same weight as the eggs) then place in the muffin cases and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for 20-25 until golden brown!



Step 2: Make the Lemon Curd


Recipe: 

You will need; 1 egg, 50 grams of stork/butter, 2 tsp of lemon rind, 60 ml of lemon juice and 100 grams of caster sugar. 
Combine ingredients into a small saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir for around 5 minutes until it has thickened and strain through a sieve. Place in a bowl with cling film over the top and cool in the fridge. 

 Step 3: Fill the cupcake


Once the cake and lemon curd have both cooled, using an apple core or a cupcake cutter, remove the center of the cake and fill with lemon curd. 


 Step 4: Make the Meringue



Recipe: 

You will need; 3 egg whites and 150 grams of sugar. 
Place the egg whites in a dry bowl ( I placed mine in the fridge to begin with) and whisk until firm peaks form. Add 1 dessert spoon of sugar at a time beating well in between. Spoon or pipe over the cake and transfer them onto a baking tray in a pre-heated grill until lightly golden brown. 

 Step 5: Decorate

I sprayed some Pearl Lustre Spray onto some cakes, whilst others I sprinkled fine yellow edible glitter!







No comments:

Post a Comment